PDA

View Full Version : Bad Smelling wood

Chef Folett
03-01-2009, 09:34 AM
I had a Red Oak in my front yard that was half dead. I think the half dead part had been dead for a couple of years and when I saw the other half start to die I decided to cut it down.

Yesterday I put some of the really dry dead wood in my smoker and the smell of the wood did not smell right.

Has anyone had a similar experience? do you think that whatever killed the tree gave the wood a bad smell.

do you think the other half is going to smell the same?

Is there a difference between burning Red Oak vs. Live Oak or Spanish Oak?

smoken don
03-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Had a Red Oak that was About like that.Cut out the bad stuff used the rest.
It was just fine.I would think the good part of yours would be O.K.too.
After it seasons of course.

bigwheel
03-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Unless it rotten it should be ok. I would use it all. When you chunk in the dead part (or any of the parts) just be ready to fan the firebox door a few times till it starts burning clean. I used that strategy on some real dead standing oak I got one time and it worked just fine. The dead part dont impart much flavor and burns up quick but it will burn. I would try it before I threw it away.

bigwheel

Chef Folett
03-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks I will give it a try. do you know if Red oak smells diferent the Spanish oak or Live oak?

I may not have ever used Red Oak before.

redneck cooker
03-02-2009, 04:53 PM
The only thing that I know of that can give Oak a bad smell when burning is Oak Wilt..A disease that Oaks can get, it will slowly kill the tree. It will not affect humans as cooking with it, but if you burn it and the sap/smoke lands on any other healthy Oaks it casn affect those trees..just FYi..

HFD26
03-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Is that you Redneck...Is that really you? :?
Good advise.

Chef Folett
03-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Well the wood I started to burn was dead for at leaset a year and was very dry. no sap or bark. I took the wood off the smoker shortly after I posted here.

is there a way to tell how the tree died just by looking at the wood?

redneck cooker
03-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Not really, If the tree had Oak Wilt, it will be all the way thru the wood, again it wont hurt humans but will hurt other oak trees around the smoke..

bigwheel
03-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Well I have a real smart old bohunk chum from down in the Hill Country who swears Live Oak is the only wood the Lord meant for us to cook with. Oak is oak to me till I hit some Black Jack Oak..that is different. Don't think I would want to use it for a full cook session. Just chunk in a log of the stuff every now and then if you got some. It has a black outside and sort of a reddish interior. Puts out some mighty skerry looking smoke.

bigwheel

HFD26
03-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Well I have a real smart old bohunk chum from down in the Hill Country who swears Live Oak is the only wood the Lord meant for us to cook with. Oak is oak to me till I hit some Black Jack Oak..that is different. Don't think I would want to use it for a full cook session. Just chunk in a log of the stuff every now and then if you got some. It has a black outside and sort of a reddish interior. Puts out some mighty skerry looking smoke.

bigwheel

I cut down 32 small Black Jack trees on my week end in 1995. All I can say is they are some sorry firewood. They just get glowing hot, sizzle, and pop sparks. Most of it is still lying on the ground rotting.