PDA

View Full Version : brisket started in oven

smokesalot
06-23-2009, 02:58 PM
a newbie to the forum here.
i've read many times that smokers will wrap brisket after it has smoked for hours, and then finish in the oven.
has anyone ever (in order to save time) started a brisket in the oven, and then transfered it to the smoker when the temp is right?
thanks

Northsider
06-23-2009, 03:17 PM
If what you're trying to achieve is a smoke flavor and if you placed it in the oven first you wouldn't have that effect. You can however do like you just said and start it in the smoker and finish it in the oven and that'll be your best results. A brisket I believe quits absorbin smoke at something like 145deg internal temp so after you reach that temp you can throw it in your oven and the brisket wouldn't know the difference. If you do it the opposite you'll end up with roast beef.

Some of the smater fellers will probably be along to correct me but thats my take on it anyways. :)

Oh and Welcome aboard. :thumbs:

Will32Rod
06-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Personnally I think you would not get very much smoke flavor if started in the oven. When a brisket reaches around 140 degrees the amount of smoke flavor you get would be very limited. Then if you start it the oven then wrap it and put it on the pit you would get no smoke flavor.

I say put it on pit bring it to 160 degree internal temp. Then put in the oven if you really feel compelled to combine the smoker/ oven combination.

Will32Rod
06-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Coke-Coke Coke...You owe me a coke Northsider.

Texana
06-23-2009, 03:46 PM
a newbie to the forum here.
i've read many times that smokers will wrap brisket after it has smoked for hours, and then finish in the oven.
has anyone ever (in order to save time) started a brisket in the oven, and then transfered it to the smoker when the temp is right?
thanks

If you choose to start it in an oven then leave it there ... You have nothing to gain by moving it to a smoker.

For those that finish in an oven I dont think it is so much time they save as convienance for themselves. My good friend Carnivore likes to put his on the pit and when he wraps he puts them in the oven for the rest of the night so he can sleep, but he does not jack up the heat to save time.

redneck cooker
06-23-2009, 04:01 PM
I agree with Texana....oh the pain!

MI smoke
06-23-2009, 10:06 PM
If what you're trying to achieve is a smoke flavor and if you placed it in the oven first you wouldn't have that effect. You can however do like you just said and start it in the smoker and finish it in the oven and that'll be your best results. A brisket I believe quits absorbin smoke at something like 145deg internal temp so after you reach that temp you can throw it in your oven and the brisket wouldn't know the difference. If you do it the opposite you'll end up with roast beef.

Some of the smater fellers will probably be along to correct me but thats my take on it anyways. :)

Oh and Welcome aboard. :thumbs:

I'm thinkin at 145 - you won't get any additional smoke ring. But you will still get more smoke flavor.

totally smoked
06-23-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm thinkin at 145 - you won't get any additional smoke ring. But you will still get more smoke flavor.

Ok...My .02...and yes i'm pretty new but I have the worst critics you can imagine...That being said...It's true from my tests that the smoke is indeed not absorbed after a certain temp....and I am not a true stick burner cause I've not the resources or the pit but nontheless..I have oversmoked...(I didn't know better and choked the exhaust) and my god was it terrible. ummm...I just fessed up and thats all I got. Keep the smoke clean..

smoken don
06-23-2009, 10:47 PM
If your gonna start it in the oven,leave it there. Put it in a casserole dish
with some carrots,potatoes,and onions. Not Q ,but not terrible.:shrug:

totally smoked
06-23-2009, 10:51 PM
Ok...My .02...and yes i'm pretty new but I have the worst critics you can imagine...That being said...It's true from my tests that the smoke is indeed not absorbed after a certain temp....and I am not a true stick burner cause I've not the resources or the pit but nontheless..I have oversmoked...(I didn't know better and choked the exhaust) and my god was it terrible. ummm...I just fessed up and thats all I got. Keep the smoke clean..

I may have overstated....yea I'm :cheers:

smoken don
06-23-2009, 11:07 PM

I don't think you overstated anything. Meat does stop absorbing smoke at a certain temp. And shutting down the exhaust makes for some nasty smoke.
IMHO.:shrug:

MI smoke
06-24-2009, 04:06 AM
A little of the topic. But here is a good link about what makes a smoke ring - http://www.geocities.com/senortoad/SmokeRinginBarbequeMeats.htm .
From what I read so far, If there is moisture on the surface of the meat, you will keep getting more smoke flavor.

My .02

joe arras
06-24-2009, 04:57 AM

And how's that a bad thing ???

Saying on a T shirt "If your not wasted..Then the day is."