PDA

View Full Version : babes smoked chicken recipe

stiffyman
09-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Good morning all, last week i was in Granbury Texas, ate at Babes Chicken, some of the best food ever, ths sides were great but the smoked chicken was the best, anyone have there smoked chicken recipe or even take a guess on how they cook it,, thanks

stiffyman
10-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Gave it a shot,

I have done quite a bit of smoked chicken quarters with success, but what was different from the chicken they do at "Babes" is the appearence the inside nice smoked flavor, think it was hickory and apple maybe, but it was the outside, the skin was not dark like my chicken it is redish.brown texture any suggestions to get a finished product like that when smoking chicken quarters thanks

totally smoked
10-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Hmmm..When I do chicken mine are usually the brown color you said babes has...:idea: Now, for what it's worth, I smoke with charcoal and wood chunks..I dont have a big pit..yet...I even cook in the temps of 275..sometimes a little hotter on my uds..anyway, I use pecan and cherry for my chicken..seems to give it great color and taste too. Hope this helps :)

and txbbqrub wild ..of course

bigwheel
10-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Never tried the smoked chicken. Had the CFS and fried chicken. Found them total unremarkable. Sides nothing to write home about neither. Not near as good as how my Mama made it or as good as the Warden does it. My guess is if they have any sense they would be cooking the chicken purty fast. 350 works for me. A little glaze of Headcountry Regular Sauce spiked up with a little honey applied toward the end gives them a nice reddish color.

bigwheel

BluDawg
11-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Gave it a shot,

I have done quite a bit of smoked chicken quarters with success, but what was different from the chicken they do at "Babes" is the appearence the inside nice smoked flavor, think it was hickory and apple maybe, but it was the outside, the skin was not dark like my chicken it is redish.brown texture any suggestions to get a finished product like that when smoking chicken quarters thanks

Is this the color that you are trying to achieve?
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/001-1.jpg

Or are you looking for it to be more like this?
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/009.jpg
Beer Butt bird was cooked at 260 deg and smoked with hickory and rubbed with olive oil and S&P. The halved bird was done at 225 deg on the offset with pecan and my chicken rub. :stirthepot: