PDA

View Full Version : license plate?

cgd7777777
11-01-2010, 01:08 PM
How many people get license plates for their pits
just the pit with an axle

HFD26
11-01-2010, 01:28 PM
I did for my old pit. It was a home made trailer pit. All you have to do is tell them how much it weighs, ( I guessed) and if you bought it, how much you paid. Since you are making it yourself don't worry about that.

Texana
11-01-2010, 01:45 PM
How many people get license plates for their pits
just the pit with an axle

You only need it if your going to pull it on the road ..... I would not pull one with out a license ....

gatorpit
11-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Like Texana stated and not too mention required under Texas Law for trailers. Take a chance on the Pokie stopping ya.

redneck cooker
11-01-2010, 06:50 PM
To be legal in Texas it must have working lights and a liceanse plate..

Texana
11-01-2010, 07:45 PM
To be legal in Texas it must have working lights and a liceanse plate..

Lights ... the hell you say ....

Crpdeth
11-01-2010, 09:11 PM
You can hear anything, but I've heard that in Tx you only need lights if the pit is wider than the tail lights on your truck, mine is not so I don't worry about it (Not that I would anyway), but I will hang a red rag off the back of it... No LP either since I only haul it when moving to a new address or having work done to it and the rare occasion that I may haul it to camp, basically it sits in the back yard, so the expense of a citation is going to be much less than paying to have the tag renewed each year, but hey, that's one of the perks of living in a small town, these LEOS around here know that ya don't haul the thing around all the time and probably just look the other way.

Crpdeth

Bull
11-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Truth be told, and from the commercial vehicle license book. If the trailer is is less that 10' long and 4' wide you do not have to have a plate. Although the axle must not exceed 3500lbs. And you have to be able to see both tailights on the pulling vehicle clearly from the rear of the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crpdeth
11-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Truth be told, and from the commercial vehicle license book. If the trailer is is less that 10' long and 4' wide you do not have to have a plate. Although the axle must not exceed 3500lbs. And you have to be able to see both tailights on the pulling vehicle clearly from the rear of the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinda goes with what I heard as posted above... Hmmm, maybe it's true then! :D:D:D

Crpdeth

cgd7777777
11-01-2010, 09:18 PM
I guess i am going to get one then i am not a big fan of tickets...my luck i would get in some little town and they would impound it

Northsider
11-01-2010, 09:25 PM
I guess i am going to get one then i am not a big fan of tickets...my luck i would get in some little town and they would impound itThat would be the smart thing to do bud..I outlawed it for almost a year till I got stopped on the beltway by one of PCT 4's finest and the dude threatened to take my bbq pit because he suspected it was stolen( no serial#'s). I can laugh about it now but I was crapping bricks on the scene..:roflmaoha0:

Guess he'd never seen someone that looks like me tow a bbq pit..:roflmaoha0:

HFD26
11-01-2010, 09:42 PM
That would be the smart thing to do bud..I outlawed it for almost a year till I got stopped on the beltway by one of PCT 4's finest and the dude threatened to take my bbq pit because he suspected it was stolen( no serial#'s). I can laugh about it now but I was crapping bricks on the scene..:roflmaoha0:

Guess he'd never seen someone that looks like me tow a bbq pit..:roflmaoha0:

Yea, that can happen...Constables on patrol??...they supposed to be serving papers, I don't know how that got out of the bag. Ain't that right BW? :?

gatorpit
11-02-2010, 08:22 AM
These links may assist you:

http://www.txdmv.gov/whatyouneed/forms/titles_registration.htm

http://www.ehow.com/list_6921711_requirements-texas-trailer-marker-lights.html

SpongeBob
11-02-2010, 08:57 AM
I'm going to add a little logic, if you can spend $100 on meat, wood, rub, trimmings and so forth for one weekend why not spend $30 on a license plate that is good for one year?? Not to mention like NS was saying being registered in your name might not be a bad idea.

gsmith
11-02-2010, 09:15 AM
I had to get a temp plate for mine then bring it to the inspection station where they gave it a serial number and plates. The inspector really scrutinized it and me as he only had my word and the bill of sale that I owned the pit. He was worried that the pit was stolen. I was bummed but understood where he was coming from. He told me to get the serial number put in different places on the pit so if it was stolen and found I would be able to prove it was mine.
You get caught towing an unregistered trailer here and you not only get fined but you also get to pay for them to tow it to the impound lot and then pay to get it out, after you get it registered of course.

redneck cooker
11-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Long story short...Go get the damm thing registered...and thats the rest of the story!:roflmaoha0::thumbs:

HFD26
11-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Long story short...Go get the damm thing registered...and thats the rest of the story!:roflmaoha0::thumbs:

I agree...Say good night Irene.