Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Old 10-27-2003, 10:48 AM

Mikey is on a distinguished road

Default Heat deflector/Baffle

Hello:

I have my eye on a smoker with an offset firebox and and seen some discussion on another forum around constructing a heat deflector or baffle between the firebox and cooking chamber to help even out the heat and lessen the "hot spot" near the opening.

Does anyone have any thoughts on if this is a must do thing?

Lance, if you read this can you tell me if you are experiencng a severe hot spot in your Lyfe Tyme cooker? That is the one I am looking at (20x40 double door). It appears to have a very small heat deflector but I am wondering if extending it a bit with aluminum flashing would be beneficial.

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long post.

Mikey
Old 10-28-2003, 01:50 PM
BBQ Guru

texasbill is on a distinguished road

Default Baffle near the firebox

Mickey:
I personally would add etiher an extension to the existing baffle or add some tuning plates to the smoker to move the temp down the cooking chamber and avoid the hot spot near the fire box.

Only thing I would say is I am not sure the aluminum shield would hold up to the temperatures in the pit for a long period of time that steel would.

The cooking chamber is 40 inches long so you will naturally experience a hotter cooking area near the fire box as you will will any offset smoker unless you either baffle the heat down the chamber or add some tuning plates to the cooking chamber.

On that note however, sometimes people like a hot spot near the fire box to cook in the chamber at different temperatures for different meats. So it is a personal preference. You could move the tuning plates to create a hotter portion in the pit if you leave them removable and adjustable. They should be left this way so you can get under them to clean the pit. Might want to give some thought to the baffle if you go that way and make sure you give yourself some space for cleaning.

Bill
Texas BBQ Rub