Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
  #1  
Old 04-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Bad Santa's Avatar
Bad Santa Bad Santa is offline
BBQ Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: All around the world, but mainly resides in Texas.
Posts: 3,774
Bad Santa is on a distinguished road

Default Brick BBQ Pit plans

A friend is thinking of building one of the old style brick/cinder block pits in his backyard that were popular in the 50's and early 60's. Not the kind that is just a grill and opened on top, but the kind that the fire was built on the floor and the length was anywhere from 6 ft to 8 ft long, rebar cross supports for grating, about waist high with large metal sheet for the lid with counter balances, then a chimney on the end with a possible chamber built in for warm holding or cold smoking. Very similar to Smitty's, if familiar with that type. Anybody remember these things? I do, but not well enough to be able to draw a plan for him. The plans that I've run across are for the upright type that is not a smoker, he's needing some plans to go by for the long low type. I'm just wondering if by chance somebody might have some idea about them..... Thanks...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-08-2006, 11:59 PM
bigwheel's Avatar
bigwheel bigwheel is offline
Moderator
BBQ Pitmaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Cowtown, TX
Posts: 5,981
bigwheel has a spectacular aura aboutbigwheel has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Wanted: Brick BBQ Pit plans

Well I remember the pit style well but it wasn't from yuppie Smittys in whutever name of the town it is located..but whut rattles my cage about it is that sound like just the kinda pit old Black Smitty from Robstown over there used. Wasnt no bricks involved that I can recall cept maybe framed in around the opening for the logs since you mention it. Surely he could not have lipped the hot area with cinder blocks..so ok it had to be firebricks on the hot part. He had a big bed of dead coals built up and when he come to work he just throw on a real dead mesquite log or two on there and be right back in bidness. Sometimes he fired it with fence posts come to thunk on it. He cooked real low and real slow. He say the minimum for anything was 24 hours. He be glad for you stick your hand into the cooking area part of the pit. You could hold it for a long time. Suspect old Black Smitty was cooking at about 225..maybe 220. He had the best bbq in S. Texas. Best I ever ate in my life maybe with the exception of some direct cooking bohunks who was fond of burning mesquite to coals and breaking out the shovel. It just be two total diffrent taste sensations I guess a person could say. I bees glad to help your pal duplicate the pit. Let me know. Tell him start out with a few pallets of regular old cinder blocks Or maybe we should acquire the firebricks first. I think it will need a tall chimney. Never did bother to look on top of that place for some reason..kick kick.

bigwheel


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Santa
A friend is thinking of building one of the old style brick/cinder block pits in his backyard that were popular in the 50's and early 60's. Not the kind that is just a grill and opened on top, but the kind that the fire was built on the floor and the length was anywhere from 6 ft to 8 ft long, rebar cross supports for grating, about waist high with large metal sheet for the lid with counter balances, then a chimney on the end with a possible chamber built in for warm holding or cold smoking. Very similar to Smitty's, if familiar with that type. Anybody remember these things? I do, but not well enough to be able to draw a plan for him. The plans that I've run across are for the upright type that is not a smoker, he's needing some plans to go by for the long low type. I'm just wondering if by chance somebody might have some idea about them..... Thanks...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-09-2006, 11:04 AM
jts jts is offline
Slow Smoker
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WiskeyTaw Falls, TX
Posts: 168
jts is on a distinguished road

Default

There is an old sunset bbq book that has some plans for different types of backyard brick bbq pits. I think it was from 1950 or so. I have seen it on Amazon, thats where I got mine. Make sure not to get the newer version of it because its not the same. I have the book at work, if you need the exact number off of it let me know.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-09-2006, 01:24 PM
rstcso's Avatar
rstcso rstcso is offline
BBQ Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 2,293
rstcso is on a distinguished road

Default

This might be what he's looking for...

http://bbq.about.com/gi/dynamic/offs...bbq%2Fpits.htm

The second entry, "Wilbur D. Hog", is a brick pit with the complete build for it with lots of pictures. The fourth entry shows bigwheel's "Fred".
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-09-2006, 01:44 PM
M38A1's Avatar
M38A1 M38A1 is offline
BBQ Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tejas
Posts: 3,205
M38A1 has a spectacular aura aboutM38A1 has a spectacular aura about

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstcso
This might be what he's looking for...

http://bbq.about.com/gi/dynamic/offs...bbq%2Fpits.htm

The second entry, "Wilbur D. Hog", is a brick pit with the complete build for it with lots of pictures. The fourth entry shows bigwheel's "Fred".
Brent,
Funny you mention those links. I've had a conversation or two with those guys about their pits and how someone was using pictures from the build to promote a CD on ebay. Turns out, he stole all the build pictures, materials list etc and created a "How To" based on these guys work.

GREAT lookin backyard pits.


ETA:
Here's a link to Coopers in Llano Texas and a shot of their brick pits. Kind of what you describe. I'll add more pics as I can round them up.
http://www.coopersbbq.com/tour.asp


http://www.hasmark.com/images/CoopersLlanoSmoker.jpg
(link not hot due to size of picture)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Bad Santa's Avatar
Bad Santa Bad Santa is offline
BBQ Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: All around the world, but mainly resides in Texas.
Posts: 3,774
Bad Santa is on a distinguished road

Default

Appreciate the sites info, but have already visited most of them. The style I'm talking about is a low brick firebox with a long run brick horizonal (6 to 8 Ft) with the upright chimney at the end. The top was usually made from heavy steel plate and utilized counter weights for opening the steel plate. The horizonal run was usually built about waist high. Thanks for the input and help.. Scott those pics from Cooper's are pretty close to what I'm describing, except they were built of brick.....same style and principal.....they use to be more of them things than you could shake a stick at...guess that they've gone by the wayside due to inefficientcy and length of time to cook large pieces of meat.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-09-2006, 11:34 PM
S & M S & M is offline
Cooker
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Posts: 28
S & M is on a distinguished road

Default

Do remember this type well happen to know where 3 of them are with in a couple miles of the house. let me know if yopu would like me to got get some dimensions could even get pics


Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-09-2006, 11:38 PM
S & M S & M is offline
Cooker
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Posts: 28
S & M is on a distinguished road

Default

sorry can not type well tonight
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-10-2006, 09:41 AM
rstcso's Avatar
rstcso rstcso is offline
BBQ Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 2,293
rstcso is on a distinguished road

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Santa
Appreciate the sites info, but have already visited most of them. The style I'm talking about is a low brick firebox with a long run brick horizonal (6 to 8 Ft) with the upright chimney at the end. The top was usually made from heavy steel plate and utilized counter weights for opening the steel plate. The horizonal run was usually built about waist high. Thanks for the input and help.. Scott those pics from Cooper's are pretty close to what I'm describing, except they were built of brick.....same style and principal.....they use to be more of them things than you could shake a stick at...guess that they've gone by the wayside due to inefficientcy and length of time to cook large pieces of meat.
Again, I need to read and pay attention before responding to posts ops: . Oh well. Maybe somebody will enjoy looking at them.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-10-2006, 10:12 AM
M38A1's Avatar
M38A1 M38A1 is offline
BBQ Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tejas
Posts: 3,205
M38A1 has a spectacular aura aboutM38A1 has a spectacular aura about

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S & M
Do remember this type well happen to know where 3 of them are with in a couple miles of the house. let me know if yopu would like me to got get some dimensions could even get pics

Jeff
Yeah, If Bad Santa needs more pictures, I'd be more than pleased to run out to Coopers in Llano for lunch, er...... recon photos, or Opies in Spicewood.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
super bowl plans? oregonboy General BBQ 19 02-04-2007 09:39 AM
smoker plans fabricatoman BBQ Pits 9 09-25-2005 09:56 AM
Anyone got a brick smoker? Pros & Cons, please. Anonymous BBQ Pits 4 08-24-2004 10:42 AM
Plans for the Fourth? JasonB General BBQ 8 07-07-2003 10:19 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 AM.
Style Developed by Andrew Slane

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Contact Us - www.texasbbqrub.com - Archive - Top