Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TexasBBQRub Forum: The BBQ Community > BBQ Related > General BBQ

Old 06-14-2006, 06:09 AM
BBQ Guru

Fred is on a distinguished road

Default Let's talk BBQ = Mustard vrs. Oil

Let’s talk BBQ;

Listing to the BBQ Pod casts (I think are great); Craig Goldwin; a winning cook/author web site (Amazing ribs.com) – tells the listeners that when ‘pre’ prepping the Ribs – he uses an Oil & not mustard – he says that in the Rub (using food science) there are certain spices that will not break up using Mustard (that has no oil) & that the oil helps the rub penetrate the meat better. / Going through KB’s Home BBQ.com forum – I also found places where Kevin uses an Oil (EVO) – he was not as specific however he mentions it several times

Has any one else tried this? / I did this weekend at the comp. & because I over cooked them in the foil (I did 3-2-1) / I could not tell any difference / I am cooking again today & will use this method & report back on what I think about it.

A few Tip's Craig gives is to foil no longer than 30-60 mins. (yes he foils in comps) / That was my mistake this weekend; using 2 hrs. In the foil my ribs were mushy from over cooking.

He also talks of comp cooks using Parkay Soft Margarine - pre & during the cook

FWIW; I have got several VG tips off these pod casts; many of the interviews are with winning cooks that are sharing some good stuff
http://www.bbqpodcasts.com/
Old 06-14-2006, 06:39 AM
Mic
BBQ Addict

Mic will become famous soon enough

Thanks for posting that, Fred! I am always interested in trying new methods and will try this one. I know Kevin with Home BBQ.com and he is definately a champion cook, so I figger if he's doing it there has to be sumptin to it!

Mic
Old 06-14-2006, 07:34 AM
place your add here
BBQ Guru

gsmith is on a distinguished road

I rub oil on my steaks and chicken breasts prior to putting the seasoning on and they seem to come out better than without the oil. I can't really explain it but there is a difference.
I have not tried it on bbq, yet.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:43 AM
BBQ Pitmaster

TexLaw has a spectacular aura aboutTexLaw has a spectacular aura about

I can see something to it. There are some flavor components in spices that are fat soluble, rather that water soluble. There is a trace amount of fat in mustard, but probably not enough to carry those spices. Of course, as the flavor components are fat soluble, there also is a trace amount of fat in the spice.

As far as those flavors penetrating meat, though, just don't get into that much. If you want flavor into the lean muscle, then it just about has to be water soluble. Fat soluble flavors will work into the fat, so you might get something into the marbling and the larger hunks of fat in the meat.

The proof is in the pudding, though, Fred. If you don't see any difference, that's probably because there isn't any.

GSmith, oil works better on steaks and chicken when you grill at high temperatures because you get better browning.

TL
Old 06-14-2006, 08:04 AM
BBQ Guru

Fred is on a distinguished road

The General is fired up & I on my way to get a few racks now.....loosing in that comp has me fired up & back to the drawing board / I will be using a EVO today & TX BBQ rub – with a 3-1-? method.

While I am remembering tips; - 2’’ PVC pipe on the bottom of your table legs to raise the prepping/cutting surface to 'ease the back' sounded like a good idea – I get a sore back every cook & getting your surfaces ‘egomaniacal correct sounds like a good idea for the long haul.

O – check this out – yes it’s expensive – perhaps someone can make one of there own – I FRIED in the TX heat this weekend at the cook-off; it was 97 the day of turn in’s, with little breeze – it led me to ‘at least look at these – if I was doing a LOT of outside cooking in TX – I would have one or something similar – if you did not occasionally cool down = it was heat stroke hot around the pit –
http://www.bigfogg.com/cooldraft-por...r-cooling.html
Old 06-14-2006, 08:07 AM
Slow Smoker

BBQ Angel is on a distinguished road

Wouldnt the fat in the meat break down the spices?
Old 06-14-2006, 08:44 AM
BBQ Pitmaster

TexLaw has a spectacular aura aboutTexLaw has a spectacular aura about

Angel, I don't know what you mean about breaking down the spices, but I'll take a guess.

If you're dealing with a fat soluble flavor (for example, heat from chili peppers, the flavor and aroma from citrus zest or garlic), then the oil actually carries that flavor.

On the other hand, if you're dealing with a water soluble flavor (for example, salt or sugar), then the oil just won't pick it up. In that case, the oil could actually cover up the water soluble flavor. In that way, the oil could "break down" the spice from the standpoint of the someone eating the food.

TL
Old 06-14-2006, 08:53 AM
BBQ Guru

serialgriller is on a distinguished road

fred, since you're "experimenting" today, you might consider leaving one or two racks unfoiled for comparison purposes. i've gotten away from foiling the last couple of times i've done ribs and i think they've actually turned out better.

just a thought.......
Old 06-14-2006, 09:06 AM
BBQ Addict

Bad Santa is on a distinguished road

Makes sense, sort of on the principle of an oil and vingarette salad dressing. The flavors of the spices used will be in the vinegar but not the oil, it will combine when adgitated with the oil to produce a flavor, but will separate when at rest and the oil will not be flavored, just the vinegar. But then add oils of fruits, chilies, garlic, etc. to oil and you'll have flavored cooking oils.
Or I maybe totally wrong..... ops:
Old 06-14-2006, 09:15 AM
BBQ Guru

Zilla will become famous soon enough

I think I agree with TL on most of this but I can't see oil penetrating meat or helping spices get in. Breaking down the spices yes, aiding in exterior texture and crust yes, especially chicken breasts, fish, and lean cuts of pork and game. I think that water is the only thing that will penetrate the meat through. Osmosis in tissue is water based I do believe, like brining does.