Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TexasBBQRub Forum: The BBQ Community > BBQ Related > BBQ Pits

Old 08-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Cooker

amazingglass is on a distinguished road

Default Barbq pit with smoke stack located below meat

I have a friend that has his stack output below the meat tray.
He states it cooks better and can controll the heet better.
Ihave thought of this years ago but figuard if it was better it would be mass produced.
Any ideas???
mike
Old 08-06-2009, 09:17 PM
The artist formerly known as ... Gracie!
BBQ Addict

totally smoked will become famous soon enough

Well...in my mind heat rises..so a stack above the grates would be better...but, if your pulling a draft with the chimney..I guess it would work. It seems like it would bypass the meat..kinda..
Old 08-06-2009, 10:42 PM
BBQ Pitmaster

david brace has a spectacular aura aboutdavid brace has a spectacular aura aboutdavid brace has a spectacular aura about

From fighting fires for many years, heat DOES rise, and it also banks down from the 'ceiling'. In any of the traditional style smokers, the heat and smoke passes through the cooking chamber and out the stack.

In this variation, the heat would have to linger and then 'bank down' before it gets drafted through the stack. So the cooking chamber should get a lot more smoke and heat. I don't know if this is a good idea...I just don't have any design experience. I leave that to Ritch and the others who have built them.

There are other factors to consider in this style of pit...like smoke plumes and axisymmetrical plumes and smoke-layer interfacing. Kinda boring, but it basically shows up in our instruction booklet on store-bought smoke detectors when 'they' advise us to NOT mount smoke detectors on the ceiling close to the wall.

DB
Old 08-07-2009, 08:14 AM
MY JOB IS THE PITS
BBQ Addict

gatorpit is on a distinguished road

Kind of like the square firebox vs the round firebox, which is better? Okay, based on my experiences and I will keep this short, because I could write for days on this. With the proper size stack (diameter/length), proper air-intake on the firebox end, proper size/shape hole cut between firebox and food chamber, etc. A lower stack placement works fine. If all or anyone of these factors are off, you could actually over smoke your meat because you aren't getting enough draw to exhaust the smoke. Meat can become bitter tasting, black, etc. Air flow can be significantly hindered with a stack located below the food grate. Improper air-flow can also cause problems getting temperture up in the main chamber. If you are pulling air fluently thru the food chamber, it is sitting in the firebox mainly. I have had customers bring pits to me to cut the stack, cap the end, and install a new stack above the food grate level. Most recently was this particular pit: http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...&y=-8q8dma&x=0

You may already recognize this pit from the FOR SALE page on this forum.

Anyways, I prefer to keep the stack above the grate level. If you want to slow the air flow down, choke the stack damper back a bit. I find that under normal cooking condition, I leave the stack fully open all a steady flow of heat/smoke draw from the firebox and exiting the stack.

Alright, I'll stop now. Appear to be rambling. I am sure you will get input from folks that have this particular design and can offer their personal cooking experiences with their pit.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:16 AM
Cooker

Default Stack below meat tray

He stated he uses less wood due to the heat stays longer in the pit.
In my OK Joe pit the heat at the tray is lower than the heat above the meat according
to the temp guage. So I have to run the pit at about 250 to get 220 it the meat level.

This causes me to add more heat to get it down to the meat.
I'm think i'm going to relocate the stack cause sometime I can cook a briket fit for a king redneck and 75% of the time its to dry or just flat shrunk and burnt. I can't or havent found the right combo, and after two years and a whole lot of junk briskets i'm willing to try anything.
If you can belive it my dog is tired of briskets harder than his dog food bowl.

I use oak in small pieces due to the size if the fire box.
I can't figure out why the timp guage is closer to the top than the location of the meat.
Would it be a good idea to change that location?
Old 08-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Cooker

Ritchey I think we were both replying at the same time, you posted yours 30 seconds before me.
Your openion is well received and here is some specs on the pit but I'm sure you know this.
Small round fire box I guess maybe 16" Round, 1/2 Moon shape transfer hole about 8-10 at top. 2 1/4 stack, but I added a 4 ft extension and it helped the draw, before it would cause smoke to come out of every hole it could and around the lid in some places.

I a lot of resadue buildup normal in the pit. the bottom of the door looks like a old house that needs scraping and painting. This happens everry time its used.

Thanks
Mike

Amazing Glass
281-919-9969
Alvin Tx
Old 08-07-2009, 10:21 AM
BBQ Guru

cappy will become famous soon enoughcappy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingglass View Post
He stated he uses less wood due to the heat stays longer in the pit.
In my OK Joe pit the heat at the tray is lower than the heat above the meat according
to the temp guage. So I have to run the pit at about 250 to get 220 it the meat level.

This causes me to add more heat to get it down to the meat.
I'm think i'm going to relocate the stack cause sometime I can cook a briket fit for a king redneck and 75% of the time its to dry or just flat shrunk and burnt. I can't or havent found the right combo, and after two years and a whole lot of junk briskets i'm willing to try anything.
If you can belive it my dog is tired of briskets harder than his dog food bowl.

I use oak in small pieces due to the size if the fire box.
I can't figure out why the timp guage is closer to the top than the location of the meat.
Would it be a good idea to change that location?
On my Klose which has an upright, the top rack is hotter than the bottom rack. However, part of this design also involves how heat and smoke make their way from the horizontal chamber to the upright and out the stack. The aperture from the horizontal to the upright is low (essentially below the lower rack) and has a removable baffle in place that slightly restricts the heat and smoke leaving the horizontal to the upright.

So in some ways, essentially there is a "lower stack" on my pit (the aperture from the horizontal to the upright). I've never had a problem with excess smoke, and it's an efficient pit for fuel. But the aperture is larger than a stack, plus the upright accepts a lot of smoke and heat before sending it into the short stack at the top. As Ritch notes, the pits that are horizontal-only usually have a stack set higher, and as he also said, it's all about the overall design and resulting air draw.

Last edited by cappy; 08-07-2009 at 10:24 AM..
Old 08-07-2009, 01:40 PM
BBQ Guru

Teddy N Texas is on a distinguished road

I find this to be a very interesting thread. I also have a OK Joe (deluxe) and I am experiencing some of the same problems. This pit is a 20" and my old one was 16" but they have similar problems. I have lowered the stack to 1 3/4" from grate and raised the fire grate 3 1/2".
Old 08-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Cooker

How is that working for you?
I'm cooking one now and I have the heat 275 it has been sence 1:00pm and is now reaching 180* in the large end, and so far it is still jusey as I have a puddle on top.
Fat side up in mid if OK joe. I think I will rap it at 185* for a few hours till it gets to 200.
Any ideas?
Thanks
No good results, BBQing redneck!
Mike
Old 08-07-2009, 07:50 PM
BBQ Artist

txsmkmstr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingglass View Post
How is that working for you?
Fat side up in mid if OK joe. I think I will rap it at 185* for a few hours till it gets to 200.
Try wrapping at 160* - take to 200*-205* and (ahem - don't want to start anything here) fat side down.

Works really well for me except I usually wrap about 150* cuz I'm falling asleep.