Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
  #1  
Old 10-01-2009, 11:39 AM
vinman's Avatar
vinman vinman is offline
BBQ Guru
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lakewood, Ohio
Posts: 1,751
vinman is on a distinguished road

Default Smoked Turkey breast?

Ok so I've brined and cooked whole turkeys before on the smoker. Problem has always been that if I don't eat the whole thing, the rest goes to waste because people in my house don't really like smoked meats.
I've been thinking about cooking just the breast and low and behold, my local market had the Honeysuckle white turkey breast on sale for 97 cents a pound.
My question is for anyone that's smoked one of these before. Since it's just the breast, with little fat or dark meat, do they dry out much? What can I expect when cooking one or 3 of these 6 pounders?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-01-2009, 10:29 PM
BRIMSTONE's Avatar
BRIMSTONE BRIMSTONE is offline
Cooker
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Woodbury NJ
Posts: 27
BRIMSTONE is on a distinguished road

Default

I smoked a few Hole Turkeys ... I'll share My tricks I 've learned.... one of the things I do is ...set them in about 1/2 Of water and Butter in a foil pan ...this will catch all that Great Juice and stuff ... If you worry about the Bird sticking to the bottom Of the pan ...dont thats a easy fix just line the hole pan with carrets and sit the bird on top you get a Great cook carret to this way ..... but ...and here what I do ...besides a good Mop I cheet kind of I use a 60 ML needle and enject that liquid from the bird back into the meat about 30 ml per breast and again another 30 ML into each Thigh... about once a Hour ...hell never had a Dry bird yet


I Hope this helps

Brimstone
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-02-2009, 07:30 AM
tcoop4899 tcoop4899 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2
tcoop4899 is on a distinguished road

Default

It's been awhile since i've done a breast but i usually brine it overnight and then cook to temp. i keep my cooker temp around 250-300. IMO you dont want to cook at too low a temp with poultry. that gives the bacteria a chance to settle in. they have always turned juicy and well flavored. when i brine i subtract the salt from my rub. it seems to get plenty salt from the brine and that way the salt that is normally in the rub doesnt pull any moisture out of the breast. give it a try you"ll be glad you did.

Last edited by tcoop4899; 10-02-2009 at 07:35 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-02-2009, 10:16 AM
vinman's Avatar
vinman vinman is offline
BBQ Guru
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lakewood, Ohio
Posts: 1,751
vinman is on a distinguished road

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoop4899 View Post
It's been awhile since i've done a breast but i usually brine it overnight and then cook to temp. i keep my cooker temp around 250-300. IMO you dont want to cook at too low a temp with poultry. that gives the bacteria a chance to settle in. they have always turned juicy and well flavored. when i brine i subtract the salt from my rub. it seems to get plenty salt from the brine and that way the salt that is normally in the rub doesnt pull any moisture out of the breast. give it a try you"ll be glad you did.
I'll have to play it by ear as it seems the rainy season is upon us in the northeast. It's rained every day for a week now so I'm gonna start building my ark.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Rowin Rowin is offline
Cooker
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beaver PA
Posts: 55
Rowin is on a distinguished road

Default

id have to agree over here in the pittsburgh area.. its actually gotten really cold in the nights. we had frost warning the other night already...

but i cant wait for grilling in the snow
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Hot Wheels's Avatar
Hot Wheels Hot Wheels is offline
Smokin
BBQ Artist
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sugar Land TX
Posts: 526
Hot Wheels is on a distinguished road

Default

Hey I would really like to hear how smoking just the breast worked out. I have been wanting to give a try to that myself. I smoke whole turkeys in the WSM and they are never dry. The WSM has a water pan so I am sure that is a factor. So please do let us know how it came out and some details like time and temp, I know that would be helpful to me
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-02-2009, 01:20 PM
MI smoke MI smoke is offline
BBQ Artist
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: MI
Posts: 826
MI smoke is on a distinguished road

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
Ok so I've brined and cooked whole turkeys before on the smoker. Problem has always been that if I don't eat the whole thing, the rest goes to waste because people in my house don't really like smoked meats.
I've been thinking about cooking just the breast and low and behold, my local market had the Honeysuckle white turkey breast on sale for 97 cents a pound.
My question is for anyone that's smoked one of these before. Since it's just the breast, with little fat or dark meat, do they dry out much? What can I expect when cooking one or 3 of these 6 pounders?
Vin I cook a lot of the breasts. Most of the time I buy the ones that are already brined. I rub under the skin, on top, and all over . I throw them on the UDS @ 300 to 325 for about 2 to 2 1/2 hrs ( int temp - 165). If ya have any cherry wood use it.
Good eats
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-02-2009, 02:26 PM
vinman's Avatar
vinman vinman is offline
BBQ Guru
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lakewood, Ohio
Posts: 1,751
vinman is on a distinguished road

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI smoke View Post
Vin I cook a lot of the breasts. Most of the time I buy the ones that are already brined. I rub under the skin, on top, and all over . I throw them on the UDS @ 300 to 325 for about 2 to 2 1/2 hrs ( int temp - 165). If ya have any cherry wood use it.
Good eats
Thanks for the details!
I am all out of cherry but I was planning on using apple.
Looks like this weekend might improve so I'll give it a go and post the details.
Now that the word is out, everyone is planning on "stopping by to see how the turkeys turn out". I might need to get a couple more now.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-02-2009, 07:29 PM
vermin99's Avatar
vermin99 vermin99 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Diego CA
Posts: 16
vermin99 is on a distinguished road

Default

I just cooked a turkey breast a couple of weeks ago and came out real tender and juicy. Brined the bird with apple juice, kosher salt and sugar for about 8 hours. I cooked it on my Weber OTG indirect at 350 degrees dome temp with a little apple wood chunks for smoke. Put the bird in a roasting pan and used a grate to keep the breast off the bottom of the pan, put some butter and chicken broth in the pan and cooked until done. I used the liquid in the bottom of the pan to make a gravy but it was a little overpowering with smoke flavor. Next time I'll just use a little of that pan liquid and use some fresh chicken broth.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-02-2009, 11:04 PM
vinman's Avatar
vinman vinman is offline
BBQ Guru
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lakewood, Ohio
Posts: 1,751
vinman is on a distinguished road

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermin99 View Post
I just cooked a turkey breast a couple of weeks ago and came out real tender and juicy. Brined the bird with apple juice, kosher salt and sugar for about 8 hours. I cooked it on my Weber OTG indirect at 350 degrees dome temp with a little apple wood chunks for smoke. Put the bird in a roasting pan and used a grate to keep the breast off the bottom of the pan, put some butter and chicken broth in the pan and cooked until done. I used the liquid in the bottom of the pan to make a gravy but it was a little overpowering with smoke flavor. Next time I'll just use a little of that pan liquid and use some fresh chicken broth.
That sounds like the brine I had in mind.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
smoked turkey breast Nick Recipe Requests/Questions/Etc 10 02-03-2008 04:43 PM
turkey breast bbqinCo General BBQ 2 11-22-2007 07:18 PM
Smoked turkey breast ?'s Sprocket General BBQ 4 10-29-2007 12:48 PM
turkey breast smoking General BBQ 4 10-09-2006 09:09 PM
turkey breast Sandbagger General BBQ 10 08-03-2006 07:32 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 AM.
Style Developed by Andrew Slane

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Contact Us - www.texasbbqrub.com - Archive - Top