Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Old 02-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Cooker

oldsaintd is on a distinguished road

Default Old Country smokers

Anyone know anything about a smoker from Academy made by Old Country BBQ. It is a 20" offset and feels thicker than the other 3/16" smokers Academy sells. Has anyone ever cooked on one, or have any info about them, I'm looking to pass my old Brinkman on.
Thanks
Old 02-03-2010, 06:57 PM
BBQ Pitmaster

HFD26 will become famous soon enough

Don't know anything about them personally, but here is a post from last June that mentions them. Check out post #10.
http://forum.texasbbqrub.com/showthr...smokers&page=2
Old 02-04-2010, 07:24 AM
BBQ Guru

PitBull is on a distinguished road

Post #10 was mine and I still stand by what I said. I have managed to get mine in first class order now and I'm pretty happy with it, but remember you get what you pay for.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:14 AM
BBQ Guru

txpgapro is on a distinguished road

Personnaly, I'd move on. If a nice backyard pit is what you're after, take a look at the LyfeTyme pits. Lots of guys here have one.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:09 PM

Joel is on a distinguished road

Default Looking for recommendations for a smoker

Hello, Im new to this forum. I bought a smoker from a retired welder and discovered both good BBQ and the need/ desire to upgrade to a better smoker.

I have been back and forth between Gator and Klose's website. I just discovered BBQ pits by JJ. Has anyone evaluated all three that is willing to share their thoughts on any pros, cons if any?

Joel
Old 02-11-2010, 11:18 PM
RENO
Slow Smoker

renoram2000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpgapro View Post
Personnaly, I'd move on. If a nice backyard pit is what you're after, take a look at the LyfeTyme pits. Lots of guys here have one.
I have a lyfetyme. 20x40 double lid. But you can get a 20x40 gator budget pit. Muuuuuuch better quality. Dont get me wrong, lyfetyme is a nice heavy pit but the baffle is half the size and most of the ones I seen at heb... the air intakes move and seem loose. About 50 bucks more you get a Gator. I'd go with the Gator. Just my
Old 02-11-2010, 11:31 PM
RENO
Slow Smoker

renoram2000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Hello, Im new to this forum. I bought a smoker from a retired welder and discovered both good BBQ and the need/ desire to upgrade to a better smoker.

I have been back and forth between Gator and Klose's website. I just discovered BBQ pits by JJ. Has anyone evaluated all three that is willing to share their thoughts on any pros, cons if any?

Joel
Hey Joel, go to the new member and introduce yourself before you get whacked buddy. I own a Gator and a Klose. I was gonna say depends on what you want but I done all of that research as I think everyone hear has and my opinion would be to go get you a Gator. It'll come out cheaper with Gator but his quality is second to none. I've called to JJ and spoke to someone there. It just bothers me that I was transferred over and over again when asking questions about options on a pit. You call Gator and you actually talk to the person that designs them... Helen. Shes great bro. And they got some guy there named Ritch that knows a little. Do a search on JJ here on the forum and you'll read some unflattering things. But as to the quality of his pits, I hear they're perty darn good. Klose charges for every little upgrade. Quality between Klose and Gator... I say Gator. But I aint no expert. Just looking at MY pits. JJ is a little cheaper than Gator... But you cant beat Ritch's customer service. Gator bro, Gator.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:32 AM
Smokin Hickerbilly
Master of the Grill

BluDawg will become famous soon enough

Tejas builds a really nice pit too. That is what I'm saving for.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:06 AM
MY JOB IS THE PITS
BBQ Addict

gatorpit is on a distinguished road

What ever you look at or buy, GO AMERICAN MADE.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:47 AM
BBQ Guru

cappy will become famous soon enoughcappy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorpit View Post
What ever you look at or buy, GO AMERICAN MADE.
http://www.bbquepits.com/low_price.htm

Location: Old Country BBQ Pits is based in Laredo Texas. This allows us to have the manufacturing facilities in Mexico. By fabricating in Mexico with a combination of American materials and Mexican labor the cost of fabricating the smokers is reduced tremendously.

That info is sort of hidden - there used to be a direct link to it from one of the main pages. Now there's only this:

http://www.bbquepits.com/old_country...rn_in_1955.htm

"This is our shop, our BBQ smokers and BBQ grills, as well as every thing else we sell, is made here including the fire pits which we press ourselves."

Which presumably is in Nuevo Laredo. since the actual street address for the company isn't a warehouse facility. (It's 1919 E. Saunders, Suite 31 in Laredo).

Addendum: I'm not knocking stuff being made in Mexico (plenty of automotive manufacturing occurs there; also electronics, and most hot water heaters just to name some prominent things). But if buying from an American firm is a consideration, that information is relevant.

Last edited by cappy; 02-12-2010 at 10:55 AM..