Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TexasBBQRub Forum: The BBQ Community > BBQ Related > BBQ Pits

Old 02-20-2011, 08:18 AM

FireChief is on a distinguished road

Default Old Country Brazos Smoker - Academy

Found this yesterday at my local Academy. Biggest baddest pit I've ever seen in a big box store. Must be 2-3 times heavier and also longer (maybe 36") that the regular Old Country offset they sell. The door is so heavy almost couldn't open it with one hand on first try! Very, very impressed. I think it's 1/4" steel all around, but never seen a 1/4" pit up close and in person. Would have bought it on the spot but holding out for a 24" pit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00441-20110219-1235.jpg (48.9 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00440-20110219-1235.jpg (51.8 KB, 162 views)
Old 02-24-2011, 02:06 AM
Slow Smoker

HolySmoke is on a distinguished road

Saw one last night, looks good from a distance, but no way it's 1/4...too light. At 399.99 it's probably hybrid aluminum. Save the money, for a few hundred more Gator has some "cheapies" worth looking at. IMHO
Old 02-24-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolySmoke View Post
Saw one last night, looks good from a distance, but no way it's 1/4...too light. At 399.99 it's probably hybrid aluminum. Save the money, for a few hundred more Gator has some "cheapies" worth looking at. IMHO
Sorry, should have given more info...this pit is $999.00 at Academy. I know the one you're talking about that they have been selling for a while, many times lighter than this one. It should have the label you see in the pic, called the Brazos.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:15 AM
MY JOB IS THE PITS
BBQ Addict

gatorpit is on a distinguished road

http://www.bbquepits.com/

Here is the manufacturer of Old Country. Gander Mountain sells a few models as well. I have seen and put my hands on them. GM has a mobile unit on their show room floor and a few smaller backyard units.

Last edited by gatorpit; 03-02-2011 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: Spelling correction Reason: Spelling correction
Old 02-24-2011, 07:34 AM
BBQ Guru

PitBull is on a distinguished road

Old country is out of Laredo with no manufacturing facilities in the US. All the pits are made in Mexico by "Artisans".
Old 02-24-2011, 09:08 AM
BBQ Addict

Half Fast BBQ'n has a spectacular aura aboutHalf Fast BBQ'n has a spectacular aura aboutHalf Fast BBQ'n has a spectacular aura about

My recommendation ... save your money... NEVER buy any stick burner that is less than 1/4" thick steel and 24" dia... buy more than you think you need. You won't be sorry.
Hear me now, believe me later

Call a custom pit builder like Gator Pit and talk to them. You will better learn what you need and what it will cost for something that will last you a lifetime of great cooking.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Fast BBQ'n View Post
My recommendation ... save your money... NEVER buy any stick burner that is less than 1/4" thick steel and 24" dia... buy more than you think you need. You won't be sorry.
Hear me now, believe me later

Call a custom pit builder like Gator Pit and talk to them. You will better learn what you need and what it will cost for something that will last you a lifetime of great cooking.
I agree with you...that's why I wouldn't buy the pit as I want something bigger and 24". Alot of people inquire about their pits at Academy (which are pretty light) but this one is way, way heavier than those models and a pretty good buy ($999) from a big box store in my opinion. A Gator budget 20" X 40" pit would be an even better buy but not if you live far away and have to pay the freight. That's what I hear from alot of people.

For me, the best thing about seeing and feeling this pit in person convinced me of one thing - I have traded e-mails with Mr. Robin at Gator and he told me he recommends a counterweight on his doors because they are so heavy. Even told me he has customers who have ordered the counterweight after they got their pit and put it on themselves because they regretted not getting it put on the first time. Now I see why. I can't imagine how much a door on something like a 24" X 48" pit would weigh. Will definately get one put on mine when I finally decide exactly what I want. Thanks guys.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:28 PM
BBQ Addict

Northsider is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBull View Post
Old country is out of Laredo with no manufacturing facilities in the US. All the pits are made in Mexico by "Artisans".
Hate to bust your bubble PB, but most pit building facilities employ Mexican "artisans" welders and fabricators, whether here in Texas or abroad..

You're a smart man going with a Gator pit FireChief..
Old 02-26-2011, 05:22 PM
BBQ Guru

PitBull is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsider View Post
Hate to bust your bubble PB, but most pit building facilities employ Mexican "artisans" welders and fabricators, whether here in Texas or abroad..

You're a smart man going with a Gator pit FireChief..
Remember I have an Old Country... Wasn't talking about Mexican's, just where they are made... It says artisans on their website.

Last edited by PitBull; 02-26-2011 at 05:25 PM..
Old 02-27-2011, 07:23 PM
BBQ Addict

Northsider is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBull View Post
Remember I have an Old Country... Wasn't talking about Mexican's, just where they are made... It says artisans on their website.
I know ya own one and I was jerking your chain..Someone has to keep ya on your toes ya know...