Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Old 12-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Cooker

Smoken Texan is on a distinguished road

Exclamation Weber Smokey Mountain

I am thinking about buying a WSM. Any cons I should know about? I have heard nothing but good things about it.

Thanks
Old 12-07-2011, 11:24 AM

CaptJack is on a distinguished road

..just a thought...

I've had a NewBraunfels vertical (charcoal) smoker for about 20 years.
I finally got tired of "tending fire" and worrying about the temp, and the recovery when I had to open the door to tend the fire and water.

2yrs ago I bought a Brinkman replacement electric element ($30) and took out my charcoal pan. and since then I've added a cast iron griddle directly above the element and chip pan &a commercial cake pan as a bigger water pan. the griddle acts as a heat sink to speed up recovery when I need to add wood. so does the large/deep water pan.

I'm sold on electric smokers, whether they are vertical cabinet style or the pellet cookers.

the only thing I still have that's charcoal is a small portable grill I use when I go camping.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Slow Smoker

js-tx is on a distinguished road

Other than not being insulated and perhaps a little difficult getting to your bottom food rack, they are great smokers. I had a super cheap knock about a year ago but I gave it away, the real deal is the way to go. I would get the 22", it's always nice to have more room. I would also mod that baby up, wheels, handles, hinged lid, grommets etc..

Last edited by js-tx; 12-07-2011 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: typo Reason: typo
Old 12-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Cooker

Hookin' Bull is on a distinguished road

I have a 22.5 and have no complaints. One full load of charcoal and wood (set up Minion style) will cook evenly at 225 F for 14 hours. I use a clay saucer (foiled) in the water pan (no water) and cleanup is quick and easy. A helpful site is http://tvwbb.com. And be sure and use Tx BBQ Rub.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:46 AM
High Voltage Cookers
BBQ Artist

Hcj3rd is on a distinguished road

I have had the 22.5 WSM and I think its a great smoker. Easy to use and turns out a great product. I wouldn't purchase the 18" unless you want it to cook chicken. You can get 4 briskets on the 22.5 two on each rack.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:50 PM

CaptJack is on a distinguished road

..and I don't miss having to buy charcoal ;-)
Old 12-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Cooker

SpaceCowboyTX is on a distinguished road

I also have a 22.5 WSM. It is the best smoker on a tight budget IMO. It holds temp very well, so I can set it and forget about it. I do use a digital probe and installed another coal grate on top of the original coal great to keep the coals from falling thru as they get smaller. I always use water and cleanup hasn't been a problem. I can get 16hrs at 225 with a full load minion style. I get about 10-12 hrs from 250-275 with full load.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:57 PM
The artist formerly known as ... Gracie!
BBQ Addict

totally smoked will become famous soon enough

I have 2 18.5's and wouldn't trade them for the world. I'll pass these on to my sons...
Old 12-08-2011, 07:23 AM
Master of the Grill

RangerJ is on a distinguished road

If you decide to go 22" let me know, I have one that was used for 5 competitions I'll make you a deal on.

I'm probably going back to a trailer of some type.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:18 PM
BBQ Pitmaster

bigwheel has a spectacular aura aboutbigwheel has a spectacular aura about

Dang Jack you bound to be a strong willed person to hang onto that old NB Universal Water Smoker all those years. I withstood one for about a year or two and found it the most contrary and hard to operate piece of junk I ever owned..lol. Moved it over to be the dedicated dead fish and possum cooking pit. Think I finally gave it to a yankee or something like that. That electricity is the only way to fly. Glad that NB buner works for you. It works wonders in my Brinkmann Gourmet..as long as you keep it out of a cold wind. See yours has a nice hidey hole. Wished you had told this story a few years back and I coulda saved some money and converted over the old NB instead of buying the Brinkmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJack View Post
..just a thought...

I've had a NewBraunfels vertical (charcoal) smoker for about 20 years.
I finally got tired of "tending fire" and worrying about the temp, and the recovery when I had to open the door to tend the fire and water.

2yrs ago I bought a Brinkman replacement electric element ($30) and took out my charcoal pan. and since then I've added a cast iron griddle directly above the element and chip pan &a commercial cake pan as a bigger water pan. the griddle acts as a heat sink to speed up recovery when I need to add wood. so does the large/deep water pan.

I'm sold on electric smokers, whether they are vertical cabinet style or the pellet cookers.

the only thing I still have that's charcoal is a small portable grill I use when I go camping.

Last edited by bigwheel; 12-08-2011 at 02:20 PM..