Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Old 06-17-2012, 06:32 PM
I am here. Where are U?
Cooker

trufunk is on a distinguished road

Default CAB Brisket @HEB San Antonio

Gonna have some family over next weekend so instead of going with the usuall Mexican fare decided to cook a brisket.Cousin's coming to visit from Colorado.So I go down to the new Heb in San Antonio and head straight to the meat section. I get to the briskets and I'm depressed, not to good of a selection just a bunch of Swift 9 and 10 #ers and two huge 20#er Cabs. I was looking for a nice 12-13#.

One of the meat guys was putting out some new cuts of something else so i asked him if by chance they had any other packers in the back and that I was looking for 12- 13#. He said they usually put all stock out but he would check. He came back out a few moments later with a box full of other briskets and he handed me a beautiful 15# CAB., he said here this is a good one and he wasn't fibbing. I picked up a few other things and a few complimentary exotic beer samples and came home. Can't wait to see how this one comes out.

I am also gonna try to make burnt ends for the first time....a little nervous..., any tips?

Last edited by trufunk; 06-17-2012 at 06:36 PM..
Old 06-18-2012, 05:33 AM
BBQ Pitmaster

bigwheel has a spectacular aura aboutbigwheel has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like you snagged a good one. If you have a largish pit with at least two racks my favorite strategy is to separate the point from the flat. Put the flat on the bottom rack lean side up and the point on the next rack up covered with an upside down disposable Sams pan. The point seems to crisp up real well under the pan and it helps keep the flat moist when it drips on it.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:54 AM
BBQ Addict

Half Fast BBQ'n has a spectacular aura aboutHalf Fast BBQ'n has a spectacular aura aboutHalf Fast BBQ'n has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like a nice score!
The HEB's here in the Houston area are not that good in my opinion. I rarely see anything better than a select, and have never seen a CAB in one near where I live. Guess you can tell that I am not a fan of HEB meats.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:13 AM
BBQ Pitmaster

HFD26 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Fast BBQ'n View Post
Sounds like a nice score!
The HEB's here in the Houston area are not that good in my opinion. I rarely see anything better than a select, and have never seen a CAB in one near where I live. Guess you can tell that I am not a fan of HEB meats.
I agree about HEB, but I found 2 CAB choice briskets in the mix there a couple of weeks ago. I found that the best place to score CAB choice briskets is at Wall Mart, they seem to have them more often than other supermarkets.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:25 AM
BBQ Addict

Half Fast BBQ'n has a spectacular aura aboutHalf Fast BBQ'n has a spectacular aura aboutHalf Fast BBQ'n has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFD26 View Post
I agree about HEB, but I found 2 CAB choice briskets in the mix there a couple of weeks ago. I found that the best place to score CAB choice briskets is at Wall Mart, they seem to have them more often than other supermarkets.
I have found them at Walmart too.
They are even better than Sam's Club, in my opine
Old 06-18-2012, 11:53 AM
BBQ Pitmaster

Nearly all the stores here get CAB or at least choice occasionally but nothing dependable. The only packers I have ever seen at Sams are IBP Select. Which aint a bad brisket. Rather have one of those as opposed to a Choice Excell.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:43 PM
I am here. Where are U?
Cooker

What do you get when you buy the Swift brand? The HEB I went to the case was full of swift brand. I was so happy when he haded me a CAB. I didn't know walmart might have em. I have bought a few from WM but never noticed the bag.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:18 PM
BBQ Pitmaster

I dont recall ever seeing a Swift branded packer. WW has a bunch of pumped stuff so be careful. Read the label etc. If we can figger out if the Brisket in question is indeed fresh unpmped and still in the cryo and is a packer...the next question is what is the Grade? I like choice but I know some real good brisket cooks who buys the cheapest. Different strokes I guess. Choice tends to have more marbling..makes the meat shatter as opposed to breaking straight across. Gives the impression of being mo tender and such things. Or you just put on the granny readers and look at the flat real close. If it marblied up good you can see it. Whew..lol.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:52 PM
I am here. Where are U?
Cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
I dont recall ever seeing a Swift branded packer. WW has a bunch of pumped stuff so be careful. Read the label etc. If we can figger out if the Brisket in question is indeed fresh unpmped and still in the cryo and is a packer...the next question is what is the Grade? I like choice but I know some real good brisket cooks who buys the cheapest. Different strokes I guess. Choice tends to have more marbling..makes the meat shatter as opposed to breaking straight across. Gives the impression of being mo tender and such things. Or you just put on the granny readers and look at the flat real close. If it marblied up good you can see it. Whew..lol.
Yeah the last one bought from WM actually came out very good I don't know what grade it was but I do remember it had some real good marbling throughout. I am looking forward to this one from HEB.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:50 PM
BBQ Addict

I bought some of the Swift brand briskets from HEB when they were on sale awhile back. The packages did not have any grading on them. Only the Swift name. Two of them were UGGGGGGLY once I got them out of the package. Looked like a novice butcher got hold of them. Was disappointed. However, they did cook up nice and tender and juicy.

Enjoy that CAB Tfunk